Courtesy of John Dvorak's blog. Some very clever wordplay.
Although Ive never seen this printed in the Washinton Post its
called the The Washington Post Mensa Invitational. And once again it
supposedly asked readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it
by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new
definition. The University of California Alumni Magazine does
somethihng similar to this every month, by the way, but has failed to
post it on the net for a decade. Maybe Ill post a few of the better
Here are this years winners. None of them get through spellcheck.
1. Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
2. Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
3. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows
little sign of breaking down in the near future.
4. Foreploy: Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of getting laid.
5. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.
6. Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
7. Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesnt get it.
8. Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
9. Hipatitis: Terminal coolness.
10. Osteopornosis: A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)
Karmageddon: Its like, when everybody is sending off these bad vibes,
right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and its like, a serious
12. Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you.
13. Glibido: All talk and no action.
14. Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
15. Arachnoleptic fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after youve accidentally walked through a spider web.
16. Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
17. Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit youre eating.
And the pick of the literature:
18. Ignoranus: A person whos both stupid and an asshole.
via B. Delaney